Herniated Disc Treatment In Dallas, TX
Herniated Disc Specialist
Have you ever wondered whether you or a loved one are at risk of a herniated disc in Dallas TX? Then you will find this article very helpful. Herniated disc occurrences are prevalent, especially in adults and the risks increase with age. Men are more likely to suffer a herniated disc than women. Also, lumbar disc herniation (in the lower back) is more common than cervical disc herniation (in the neck) in Dallas.
What then is a herniated disc?
The human spine is made up of bones called the vertebrae that run from the neck to the lower back. Encased between each of the spinal bone is a rubbery disc that functions as rubbery cushions or shock absorbers.
The disc is made up of a soft nucleus enclosed in a harder rubbery exterior called the annulus.
A herniated disc occurs when the nucleus pushes through a rupture in the annulus into the spinal canal. A herniated disc is also known as:
- Slipped disc
- Bulged disc
- Ruptured disc
- Disc protrusion
Symptoms Of Herniated Disc
The symptoms of a slipped disc include:
- The size or extent of the herniation
- The position of the ruptured disc
However, often the first identifying signs of a herniated disc are low back pain or neck pain.
If the disc material is pressing on a nerve, it can lead to:
- Sensory pain leading to leg and foot numbness, uncomfortable tingling and pins and needles.
- Numbness in the affected nerves.
- Stiffness in the area including a stiff neck.
- Muscle spasms or overactive reflexes.
- Muscle weakness including foot drop.
- Loss of bowel or bladder control.
Types Of Herniated Disc
There are typically three types of a herniated disc:
- Contained Herniation
In this case, the gel-like disc material called the nucleus pulposus has not broken through the outer wall of the disc. This means the nucleus pulposus is contained within the disc’s boundaries and below the posterior longitudinal ligament. The pain sensation here is often mild.
- Non-contained Herniation
Here, the nucleus pulposus has either partially or entirely leaked through the outer wall of the disc leaking into the spinal canal. In this scenario, the disc material often presses on the surrounding spinal nerves. It leads to severe pain and numbness.
- Sequestered Herniation
A sequestered herniation occurs when a non-contained disc slip fragments and drifts into the spinal canal. This is a severe condition that requires treatment and often results in muscle atrophy, loss of mobility, and severe pain.
Causes Of Herniated Disc
Several factors can directly cause disc degeneration or increase one’s risk of a slipped disc in Dallas. They include:
- Trauma: Accidents or physical trauma can cause injury to the spine and result in a slipped disc.
- Genetics: A predisposition to disc herniation can be genetically inherited.
- Old age: As the human body ages, with cumulative effects of living life, there are strong disc degeneration possibilities.
- Bad posture
- lifting heavy objects on a daily basis can lead to a herniated disc.
- Weight gain or obesity.
Long Term Problems Due To Untreated Slipped Disc
Letting a herniated disc go untreated can culminate into more significant problems, including the following:
- Loss of mobility
- Loss of sensation
- Chronic pain
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of bladder control
- Muscle stiffness
Temporary Pain Relief
Over the counter pain medications can provide temporary relief for mild to moderate pain levels due to a herniated disc.
However, for more severe pain, the doctor might administer cortisone injection, muscle relaxants, or prescribe opioids for short-term use.
Does Medical Insurance Cover Herniated Disc?
Yes, Herniated disc treatment is covered by most medical insurances. Call Trinity Mills Chiropractic office at 972-380-6977 and we can help you understand your insurance coverage.
Herniated Disc Treatment In Dallas
Have you wondered how to heal a herniated disc naturally?
These are some of the ways herniated discs are treated in Dallas:
- Self-care techniques include stretches, physical exercise and a heating pad (as recommended by the doctor)
- Pain medications like a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs.
- Therapies such as chiropractic treatment techniques, physical therapy, and stretching exercises.
- Medical Procedures: these range from therapeutic ultrasound and epidural steroid injection to spinal surgery.
How Trinity Mills Chiropractic Can help in pain due to herniated disc in Dallas, TX
Trinity Mills Chiropractic is the top chiropractic clinic in Dallas for herniated disc treatments. Dr. Mark Harris DC is a highly rated chiropractor in Dallas and specializes in treating pain due to herniated disc. He has been practicing for over 10 years in Dallas.
Trinity Mills Chiropractic serves the following cities:
- Farmers Branch
Call us today if you are experiencing pain due to herniated disc in Dallas.